Stay on top of changes in technology – and the industry – with a monthly series focused
on trending topics. Industry data and marketing ideas included.
Sell To The Retail Industry
- Look around you. – Small local businesses are a great place to look for new customers. As a fellow local business, it’s easier to make a connection. Smaller-sized companies also tend to look for opportunities on how to maximize their budgets. Explain the benefits, flexibility and cost-savings of digital printing – they may not even realize it’s within their reach.
- Retail doesn’t always follow the trend. – While many industries today rely less on traditional print marketing, retailers consistently spend over 50% of their budget on collateral such as signs, banners, direct mail and transactional documents. When approaching potential customers, be sure to emphasize your expertise, knowledge and range of services.
- If print is the king, cross-media is the queen. – To win a bigger piece of the pie, focus on selling bundles of services such as print collateral and email services. Explain to customers the impact of executing a multi-channel campaign.
- Retailers agree personalization works. – Promoting this fact creates a HUGE opportunity for your bottom-line. VDP and Transpromo services are the most popular with retailers right now – ask your PPSE for insight and recommendations on which software solution will best suit your business.
- Know your target. – Before approaching potential clients, it’s important to first understand the challenges they face. Check out retail-industry resources to learn more about hot topics and figure out how your business can fill the gaps. A little upfront research can go a long way to seal the deal.
Additional Retail Industry Resources
Vertical Market Brief: Retail Rings Up Receipts
The $4 trillion retail market is a major power source of the U.S. economy and a big consumer of printed marketing communications. Retailers, brick-and-mortar and online, invest heavily in digitally-printed marketing materials. Point of purchase displays, signs, banners, shelf talkers, direct mail, coupons, post cards, print ads, merchandise tags, and product packages all help seal the deal through attracting attention to an offer and prompting purchases. In this white paper you learn key trends and business structures within the retail market that can help drive sales.
Customized Communications: Advanced VDP
Advanced variable data publishing solutions allow PSPs to offer more sophisticated solutions that yield higher response rates and more profits for the printer and customer. In addition, advanced VDP solutions offer PSPs a path to business growth and a means of building a stronger partnership with their customers. In this piece, part four of our six-part series on customized communications.
Business at the Speed of NOW: Implications for the Printing Industry
Web-to-print, variable data, digital printing, high-speed inkjet, mobile technology, and social media have already begun to change the competitive landscape for the printing industry. Your customers are asking you for more at faster speeds and with more transparency. While you can innovate faster, so can your competitors. In short, everything is compressed, including decision cycles, reaction cycles, innovation cycles, and customer service cycles.